Saturday 24 March 2018

Last Emirates flight

Back on the 2nd October 2013 Emirates Airlines started flying into Brisbane bringing in their famous A380 for the very first time, this was to be a stop over point as the aircraft would then fly on to Auckland, returning that night. Since that very first day Emirates have departed for Auckland 1,634 times.

EMIRATES A380-861 A6-EEK (CN 132)

INAUGURAL FLIGHT


































Today Emirates Airlines are pulling out of Auckland airport for both the Brisbane and Melbourne flights, (they dropped the Sydney - Auckland flight some time ago). At one stage there Auckland was getting 5 A380's a day, four Emirates A380's and a Singapore A380.  Auckland was the only airport in the world other than Dubai International that received four Emirates A380 arrivals , and all this within two hours of each other every day. That’s pretty cool. 


PHOTO TAKEN FROM AUCKLAND AIRPORT'S INSTAGRAM ACCOUNT

So knowing this was the last flight I flew over yesterday so I can come back on the last flight.
I have flown Emirates a few times now but never business class and I must say I was extremely impressed. I called into the business class lounge where I had a few Bailey's on ice and some nibbles before the flight. From the business class lounge to the service on board and the aircraft itself, the whole set up is incredibly amazing and they do it so well. We were leaving Auckland from gate 17 and boarding was at 5.25pm for a 6.10pm departure. I, along with another plane crazy buddy, made our way down to the gate and anyone that has flown out of Auckland airport from gate 16, 17, 18 knows it is a long hike.

EMIRATES A380-861 A6-EEP (CN 138)
















The aircraft doing the final run was A6-EEP (CN 138) Emirates took delivery of this aircraft in June 2013. After about two minutes of getting to the gate they began boarding us. Boarding commenced at 5.34pm and I took my seat in turn which was 9A on the upper deck. This was the same seat coming over, but different aircraft. The cabin crew for this flight was the same as the one that flew over yesterday, so it was nice to see them all again. The captains for today were Captain Maltz and the F/O Captain Abdullaziz. The Purser was Theja  and the CSV was Rodica. (I really hope I have spelt these names correctly and I apologise if I haven't) I wasn't seated long before I was offered a hot face washer towel, it was so soothing and a nice touch. I was then offered a drink and I opted for a glass of wine. The last cabin door was closed at 6.11pm and we pushed back at 6.14pm. We started taxiing at 6.19 and taxied out for runway 05R. We held short for a few minutes waiting for an Air New Zealand 777 to land. Once that landed we lined up and held our position, at 6.30 the 4 powerful Engine Alliance GP7270 (GE/Pratt and Whitney)  engines roared into life and we were off down the runway. In my head I was thinking V1.. rotate... positive climb.. then gear up.. and we took to the sky's. We made a few long slow left hand turns passing just north of Auckland city, from there we headed out to sea as we made our way to flt lvl 400. The climb out was a little bumpy due to heavy rain clouds. Unlike the way over I decided to watch a movie while having dinner and I watched a movie about a man that gets the Poliovirus. The movie called Breathe was based on a true story. Dinner was served and I had the Seafood with chive veloute. It had prawns, scallops and monkfish in a creamy sauce served with buttered potato's, asparagus and beans.


















I had a few more glasses of wine and then for dessert I chose the cheese board with fine boutique cheeses, water crackers and some fruit.
 


















After the movie I decided to get up and go to the back of the plane where there were about 6 passengers standing around the bar talking with a few of the lovely cabin crew. Immediately I was made to feel welcome and joined in the fun.  






































We began our descent at 6.05pm Brisbane time and we landed from the south on runway 01 at 6.42pm. I stayed on the aircraft and was given a tour of the first class cabins including the showers.. yes showers.. and then I had a quick look at the cockpit from the main door. Company protocol now says passengers are not allowed on the cabin, even when they are on the ground.






















I had a wonderful experience flying with Emirates, the cabin crew are seriously amazing. Their uniforms we in perfect condition, the make up was on point but most of all their attitude and willingness to help was incredible. Thank you to Rodica for the laughs and thank you to the crew that looked after me. 

I was also told by the crew that Emirates plan to add a few more flights from Dubai to Auckland in the near future, they said there will be a flight starting on the 14th June doing Dubai - Denpasar - Auckland return.

Emirates will still fly into both Brisbane and Melbourne but the aircraft will sit on the ground all day and return to Dubai that night.

No comments:

Post a Comment