Monday, 5 December 2022

Nut case on Korean Air

KOREAN AIR AIRBUS A380-861 HL-7621 (MSN 126)

The nut rage incident, also referred to as nutgate was an air rage incident that occurred on the 5th of December 2014, at John F. Kennedy International Airport in New York City onboard Korean Air Flight 086. The daughter of Korean Air's vice president, Heather Cho (Korean name: Cho Hyun-ah), dissatisfied with the way a flight attendant served nuts on the plane, ordered the aircraft to return to the gate before takeoff.

First-class passengers, including Cho, were given nuts bagged in their original packaging—in keeping with the airline's procedures. This was given to all first-class passengers as a savoury snack. 
However, Cho had expected them to be served on a plate in first class. She questioned the cabin crew chief about the standard procedure of serving the nuts. After a heated confrontation, Cho assaulted him and ordered him off the plane, requiring a return to the gate and delaying the flight about 40 minutes.

When the incident became public, Cho and Korean Air were heavily criticized, and in the aftermath, Cho resigned from one of her several executive positions at Korean Air. She was subsequently found guilty in a South Korean court of obstructing aviation safety and given a twelve-month prison sentence, of which she served five months. 

Korean Air was ordered to pay nearly $18,000 (€16,000; £14,000) to the flight attendant who was subjected to abuse in the "nut rage" incident.

Chang-Jin Park was forced to apologise on his knees after he served nuts to the daughter of the airline's chairman in a bag rather than a plate.

Mr Park, who was also demoted over the incident, sued Korean Air for "physical and psychological suffering".

He also claimed that his demotion to an ordinary cabin crew position was unfair punishment for speaking out about the incident to the media.

He was awarded compensation by a court in Seoul for his treatment on the day, but they supported Korean Air's discission to demote Mr. Park.

The flight attendant and cabin crew chief had returned to their positions in April 2016.

No comments:

Post a Comment