Thursday 19 February 2015

Charters Towers Airport

Charters Towers is about 135 km's (about 83 miles) west of Townsville, the  Airport (IATA: CXT, ICAO: YCHT) is located 5 km; (3 miles) north of Charters Towers. The Airport is a non-controlled airport and has 2 runways. The main runway 06/24 is sealed and is 1514 mts long x 30 mts wide (4966 ft x 98 ft), the second runway 01/19 is unsealed and it is 884 mts x 30 mts (2900 ft x 98 ft.)
As I drove around this deserted airport for about 20 mins I came across one guy and I asked if I could get airside to take a few photos; or who do I need to talk to to make this happen, he must of thought I was nuts as he declined my request... Any way he told me I had to ring the council and talk to them. I gave up because if anyone has dealt with councils.... they are impossible to deal with. I just drove around the perimeter anyway.
As I looked around I couldn't help thinking this airport is an un-official grave yard / dumping ground.


VH-WIV
 
VH-ATY


VH-ELZ

NORTH QUEENSLAND SOARING CLUB

VH-BUS

VH-JBH
On Flinders Hwy heading to Charters Towers from Townsville there is Donnington's Airpark (IATA: none – ICAO: YDOP) so this afternoon on the way back to Townsville I called in and had a look around. The grass runway is 11/29 and is 936 mts long (3072 ft) I found some very nice unusual aircraft.
 
 
 
 







 

No comments:

Post a Comment