Wednesday 4 February 2015

Alice Springs Grave Yard Tour

On 27 May 2011 it was announced that Alice Springs Airport had been selected to be the first large-scale aircraft "boneyard" outside the United States, with the first aircraft for storage to arrive early in 2012.
The facility, which commenced operation in June 2014, is operated by Asia Pacific Aircraft Storage Ltd. APAS chose Alice Springs because its dry, arid climate is perfect for aircraft storage and preservation. The facility will store commercial aircraft not in use, as well as those planes that have been decommissioned from service and which will be stripped of parts to be re-cycled, such as engines, electronics and wiring.
After talking to an airport worker through the fence I asked "how do I go about getting an airport grave yard tour"? and I was pointed in the right direction. After sending an email and following it up with a phone call I was very pleasantly surprised to find out my request for an airport tour was granted.
After arriving at the airport and attending the airport management centre; where I gladly showed my personal details; I was met by the manager of operations. Gowned in a safety vest and issued with a VIC (Visitors Information Card) card we were off to car 20 were we drove around the airport visiting the tarmac area's, passing hangers like the Royal Flying Doctors and Alice Aircraft Maintenance hangers. From there we proceeded out to the touchdown markers at the end of runway 12 were we stopped again for a photo. We then proceeded to the grave yard stopping many times for a photo. I was also allowed to get out of the car and walk around underneath one of the six 767's stored there. You can clearly see on some of the 767's they have their wheels and engines wrapped and even the windows covered. It takes time to do this so the others will get done as soon as they can. I was told even the seats inside are all covered in cling wrap and there are mats down on the floor. Well after about 35 mins of pure bliss it was back to the terminal where I had to say my goodbyes and sadly hand back my safety vest with the words "Alice Springs Airport" on the back.
I proceeded back to my hire car to get my luggage and then checked in for my Qantas Link flight to Darwin.
 


VH-VMV VULCANAIR P-68C (CN 435)
 
 
VH-FMZ PILATUS PC 12 (CN138)
 
VH-FVE PILATUS PC 12 (1221)
 
VH-FMW PILATUS PC 12 (123) IN THE HANGER FOR MAINTENANCE
 
RUNWAY 12 "CLEAR FOR TAKE OFF"
 
OUR AIRLINE 737-300 VH-INU (CN 23684)
 
VH-OGO B767-338 STANDING PROUD IN THE DESSERT SUN
 
VH-OGR (CN 28724) ALL DRESSED UP WITH NO PLACE TO GO
 
UNDER CARRIAGE AND ENGINE OF VH-OGO
VH-OGU 767-338 (CN 29118)
 
VH-OGS 767-338 (CN 28725)
 
 
VH-OGT(CN 29117) AND VH-OGM (CN 25575)  HAVING A CHAT
 
9V-TRQ SINGAPORE REGISTERED TIGER A 320-232 (CN 5228)
 
9V-TRB SINGAPORE REGISTED A319-132 (CN 3801)
 

No comments:

Post a Comment