Sunday 17 March 2019

Virgin Australia - Profit is their no 1 priority - NOT customers

Thursday afternoon I get a text from Virgin Australia saying that a storm is forecast for Brisbane and my flight might be disrupted and they suggested I take an earlier flight, well that wasn't going to happen because of work comments. So Friday afternoon, after three busy days in Sydney, it was time to go home to my family and unwind for the weekend. I arrived at the airport at 3pm for my 4pm flight which would have got me into Brisbane at 4.30pm (we are an hour behind because of DLS).















Boarding was supposed to be at 3.40pm. Even though the plane was at the gate it wasn't until 4.25pm when we finally began boarding, at 4.40 everyone was seated and we just sat there. At 4.50 pm, instead of descending into Brisbane, we pushed back from the gate, by the time we taxied out to the holding point and lined up it was just after 5pm. The climb out of Sydney was a little rough but ok. I checked Brisbane airport on Flightradar24 to see what runway they were using and to check to see if they were still getting in and they were. An hour into the flight I noticed we had been put into a holding pattern. I got on to Flightradar24 again and noticed we were out to sea and in a holding pattern along with a few other aircraft.




















The seatbelt signs had come on and we were told by cabin crew we are not allowed to get up (obviously). It was 15 mins before the pilots decided to tell us what was going on, and that we would be holding for another 10- 20 minutes. Well the holding went on for an hour.




















During this time we heard nothing from cabin crew or pilots. FINALLY the captain came on and said the dreaded words no passenger wants to hear... "We are returning to Sydney".





















3 hours and 3 minutes after we left, at 7.53pm we arrived at the gate back in Sydney and we were told over the intercom to go to the service desk. WELL.. we obviously weren't the only flight to come back, there would have been 100 -120 people lined up when got there, and the line got bigger behind me. The shift manager for Virgin came on the intercom saying we can do nothing for you people tonight, please leave and we will contact you tomorrow, but no one left the queue. This message was repeated 3 more times and you could hear in her voice the frustration grew with each massage.. but again people power ruled and no left the queue. At 9.20 I finally got to the counter only to be told "there is no flight tonight and we don't have a forward booking for you yet" I was told in a shitty pissed off voice "Virgin will send you a new booking overnight and you will need to come back in the morning". The staff were obviously sick of saying the same thing over and over and probably coping a bit of flack because there attitude was unacceptable and non sympathetic. Virgin refused to pay for accommodation, refused to pay for dinner or even cab fares. They completely refused to accept any responsibility or liability stating it was the weather.. we are not responsible they said. Keep in mind Virgin Australia is NOT a Low Cost Carrier. A small group of us, who were talking in line, started googling accommodation places and I and another person would ring them. I even had my wife in Brisbane looking for me..The frustration and anger grew with each phone call as we heard over and over, QANTAS has booked all our rooms sorry. 😣 😤  Do you have a QANTAS voucher???
At 10.10pm (a lady from the same flight I had befriended) and I finally got a room each at $195 for the night.. With cab fare to and from the airport plus meals I was out of pocket $260.
I woke Saturday morning to find a text from Virgin saying I am rebooked on the 5pm flight tonight.
When I got to the airport I went to the service desk to see if I could possibly get on an earlier flight so I get home to my family and I was told in a sharp stern voice "NO" ... I said if I go the gate of each flight that leaves for Brisbane and see if there is a no show, can I get on the flight.. Again, without any care in the world or compassion I was told NO!!.. We don't operate that way.
I get it that the airline and the pilots acted in the way of "safety first" Friday night, what I don't get is the pure lack of willingness to help or even sympathy. I am not a pilot by any means or work for an airline but I don't understand why they couldn't refuel the plane we came in on, get fresh pilots and get 160 passengers home to Brisbane that night. They had an hours notice we were coming back.. something could have been organised.
The sad part of all this is for 12 yrs I flew Qantas doing roughly 36 flights a year, and this year I decided to give Virgin a go. I hung around the airport all day which normally would excite the hell out of me but I didn't bring my camera this time and I was with Theresa (my new friend from last night). We got down to the gate at 4.30pm for a 4.40pm boarding only to find our plane was just pulling up at gate. We didn't board until 4.55 and pushed back at 5.25pm...Late again!! and by now I am well and truly over this shit.. We got airborne at 5.35 and finally landed in Brisbane at 6pm local time. Just to fuel the anger during the flight home I was talking to the passenger next to me and he said a friend of his flew Jetstar (a Low Cost Carrier owned by QANTAS) and his mate was also put up for the night at the airlines expense.
Sorry Virgin.. I gave you a go but I will be going back to QANTAS

No comments:

Post a Comment